I got the idea to write this blog post from my friends in one of my mastermind groups. (Note: That’s an affiliate link.)
They pointed out this post by Paul Taubman where he gave his audience a glimpse into who he really is. Tracy Roberts suggested that we take a minute and write one of these posts so that our own community could get to know us better.
So I did just that. Here is a list of 25 things you may or may not know about me!
1. I caught the travel bug at an early age. My very first time on a plane was to Australia as part of a student ambassador program at 13 years old (without my family). Since then, I’ve been to places such as England, Amsterdam, St. Martin, Wales for a semester in college and Africa for a mission trip.
2. I need music in my life so that I can exist. I excel at rock music trivia. I know this genre from the 1950’s to today. I can name a tune within seconds of hearing the first couple of notes. But if you put me on one of those game shows, I would totally freeze up and not know a thing. I categorize this as fun but useless knowledge that takes up space in my brain but doesn’t make me any money.
3. I was born in Philadelphia and raised in the suburbs. Although I no longer have a desire to live there, that city will always be in my heart.
4. My husband and I were born (in the same year, 5 months apart) and raised about 20-30 minutes away from each other but never met until our late 20’s when we both moved away from home to the Lancaster/York area, where we also lived 20 minutes away from each other.
5. I love old planes, especially fighter planes, and love going to air shows. I’ve even met some of the crew of the Memphis Belle and got their autographs.
6. I’m left-handed, but if you look at my handwriting, it is slanted as though a right-handed person wrote it. This is because I went to Catholic school and, regardless of my left-handedness, I was taught that my writing had to look like everyone else’s.
7. I don’t really like to drive. If I could, I’d pay someone to drive me everywhere.
8. I love to read, especially memoirs. I find it inspiring and uplifting to read true stories of people beating the odds and living amazing lives.
9. It drives me nuts when apostrophes aren’t used appropriately. Ex: Pickle’s for Sale. (It hurt me just to write that!)
10. I swam with dolphins. And it was awesome!
11. I’ve always liked Lionel Richie’s music (even when it’s not cool to like him) and one of his songs is my wedding song.
12. Although I come off as extroverted, I’ve recorded many videos and have been interviewed/photographed for magazines, I have anxiety about speaking in public. I don’t like to be the center of attention—at all.
13. I’m a night person. It’s not that I’m grumpy in the morning, I’d just prefer to sleep in if given the chance.
14. I think art and creativity is a beautiful thing, and although I’m not very artistic myself, I have many friends who are. I marvel at their abilities.
15. Perfect strangers tell me their deepest secrets. It happens to me all the time—in line at the grocery store or at the mall. Someone will strike up a conversation and say, “I’ve never told anyone this before but…” Happens all the time.
16. I have one sibling, my sister. I’m the older one but people constantly ask us if we’re twins when we’re out together. I’m seven years older than her.
17. When I was a kid, I collected stamps and postcards from all over the world. It goes back to that love of traveling thing.
18. I love scrapbooking. I don’t have as much time for it as I used to, but I just love preserving memories. I’m the crazy picture-taking lady at all the parties/events (and pretty much any moment that my child does something cute…or just breathes).
19. I’m afraid of haunted houses, fun houses and haunted roller coasters. I know—I’m a grown woman, but you won’t get me in any of them!
20. I hate blue pens. This goes back to my Catholic school days. We were only allowed to write with a certain brand of blue erasable pen. But because I’m left-handed, my hand drags over everything I write. That would always smear my work and then I’d get in trouble for handing in messy work. I only write with black pens now.
21. I was very much a child of the 80’s. I had a Walkman, a boom box, Cabbage Patch Kids, leg warmers, and I loved New Kids on the Block.
22. I am a people person. I love getting to know people. I also enjoy learning about different cultures and customs. I graduated college with a BA in Sociology and a minor in Anthropology, so that makes sense.
23. I’m third-generation American. On my Dad’s side: My Grandfather was Italian and my Grandmother was Irish. On my Mom’s side: My Grandfather was Hungarian and my Grandmother was Italian.
24. I love gardening. I’m not particularly fabulous with plants and flowers, but I like being outside and digging in the earth. Being close to nature helps me to feel close to God.
25. I’ve always been a hard worker, giving 100% to whatever I do. But starting my own business and having a baby at the same time is the hardest thing I’ve ever done—and the most rewarding.
There you have it. I hope this gave you a chance to get to know me a little better. Do you have questions about anything? Did this make you want to write one of these posts for your own blog? If so, let me know when you write it. Feel free to mention it in the comments section below and link to it.